Friday, December 19, 2008

Cookies and Theft

Last night I made a quick batch of chocolate chunk cookies with peppermint crumbled on the top. It was an easy cookie to make because I used the Craving Place double chocolate cookie mix. These cookies are gluten free, and pretty tasty, especially when adding the crushed peppermint. I also added halved marshmallows to some of them because as a kid, my mom made chocolate cookies with marshmallows. Those cookies were also one of my favorites, so I was looking forward to trying the gluten free version! I included the regular, non-gluten free recipe below if you would like to give them a try. Anyway, back to the cookies I made up. So, my cookies get done baking and I leave them on a couple racks to cool down. One rack was lower, down on my pull out cutting board, so I moved them to the back of the counter so that my dog didn't get in them. The neighbors brought over a plate of cookies for my husband to enjoy so he was happy, especially when he found the fudge! It was about 10 pm and we were sitting in by our Christmas tree, watching some tv and unwinding, when we heard a loud noise in the kitchen. We both looked at each other, then noticed that our constant companion golden retriever was not by us. My husband goes out to the kitchen, turns on the light, and she is half way up on the counter, eating my coookies! Yes, I know dog's aren't supposed to have chocolate. I got that bulletin, she didn't! So, my carrot stealing dog has just increased her record in thefts. I think we may have to send her to juvie! The funny thing is that plate of cookies and candy from the neighbors were right at head level for her, but she didn't bother them so I' thinking maybe my dog has celiac disease, as well, because one other time a few months ago, I made some cookies for myself and they were cooling on the table, and she ate a couple of them. Honestly, she never bothers anything that is left out! There have been loaves of bread left on the table, and she never touches them. The only thing she is suddenly deciding to be a bad dog over is when I make myself cookies! She has never gotten on the counters so her crimes are increasing. I can see that she's headed to a life of crime in her older age, and I'm just not sure how to turn her around from her life of crime!

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

1 ¾ cup flour
½ tsp soda
½ cup shortening
1 egg
¼ cup milk

½ tsp salt
½ cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
18 marshmallows (cut in half)


Sift together, flour, salt, soda and cocoa. Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and milk. Beat well. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Chill. Drop by teaspoon onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Press ½ marshmallows (cut side down) on top of each cookie. Bake 2 minutes longer, cool. Option-top with a halved cherry under the marshmallow.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I so understand. Our dear sweet dog eat cookies twice off the cooling rack this year. One time she ate 26 of them before I caught her. Here too I could have a little plate of cookies on the cookie table she won't eat them.

Anonymous said...

It must run in the Golden's family! Yesterday when the girls and I got done making their gluten free cookies I threw the wax paper away that we used to roll out the cookies. I hear this noise in the kitchen and go look. Sadie is trying to eat the wax paper!!! The girls thought it was funny. Jolene and I had to do "the chase" to catch her and get the waxed paper away. Our dogs must not believe in that saying being good for Christmas. LOL.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...