Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Legacy

Yesterday I attended a celebration of a life well lived, a life that was not wasted but filled with love. People stood up and talked about the impact this wonderful lady had on their lives, and how they will miss her. Her family talked about the love, encouragement, and example she was to them. The faith she has in Christ is living on in many of her family members, and they have great hope of being with her again. One of her neighbors talked about how she noticed and remembered all the small details in everything, and how we all should see the small details in the lives of those around us, because that is what makes a difference. Another brought up how even though she had many health challenges and could have easily given up on things, she kept busy and active, and didn't give up. Another man talked about how you find friends through life, but few become life friends, true heart friends. I have one of those friends, and she was sitting in front of me, grieving the loss of her grandmother. She is someone who I can laugh with, cry with, be myself with, and she can do all those with me as well. We support each other, we pray for one another, we encourage each other with scriptures. We usually know what the other is going through before we even open our mouths, and we have found that God thinks it's funny to sometimes challenge us in the same areas of our spiritual life. I will write her an email or start to tell her something and she will start to laugh and say she's dealing with the same thing, or vice a versa. We can be open and honest with each other, and although we sometimes don't like what the other may say, we always know it's something that needed to be said, and we work through it and our friendship grows to a deeper level. We also know that true friendship means you are always there for the other one, no matter how far apart you may be. I thank God for my friend, my true heart friend. Yesterday, I wept with my friend, and her family. Her grandma touched my life, as well. She was a great woman, who will be missed by many, but who leaves an incredible legacy and she will live on in each of her family members, and the memories they have of her.

The pastor said something like this: we all are born and we all die, that is a given, but in the in between we have a life to live. How are you living yours? Are you leaving a legacy, are you making a difference? Do you give your all to life? How will you be remembered?

We can all make excuses-I'm too busy, I'm too old, I'm too young, I have health issues, I don't want to get involved in an activity/ministry because I might get hurt by someone, I can't be friends with someone because I got burned by a friend before, I work, I have kids, on and on, but when you get to the end of your life, what will matter? Who will show up to your funeral and what will they remember about you? Will you have made a difference? You still have time to change, to leave a legacy, to make a difference. Grab that opportunity while you can, don't wait!

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...