Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bitterness


A couple of friends and I were talking about people who have been hurtful in our lives. I looked up some verses on bitterness and God definitely showed me some things.

Bitterness becomes a stronghold that satan uses to put a wedge in our relationship with God because of the anger and hurt. Acts 8:21-23 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."

Then it referenced me to this:

With the Lord’s authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.

But that isn’t what you learned about Christ. Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.

So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body. And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil.

If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need. Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.

Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Ephesians 4:17-31


I said ouch after reading it, but know I can't be on track with God if I live in bitterness because God and bitterness/anger can't live in the same body/soul. God doesn't want anything to do with those things, they are contrary to who He is, and if I want God to be Lord of my life, I have to let those things go. As I read the verses, it was like God asking me, are you going to choose to live in bitterness, anger, and hurt or are you going to choose me and let it go? He's the judge, not me. He's the one those who have done wrong have to answer to, as do I and I am just as wrong if I let my heart live in the sin of bitterness.


Another verse talked about how bitterness TAKES ROOT and grows until it takes over our souls. It reminded me of meadows that used to be beautiful with grass and wild flowers and then a plant or two of knapweed showed up, and no one tended to them, took care of them, pulled out the poison, and within a short time, the entire meadow has lost it's beauty and is taken over by the poisonous knapweed, and now it's of no use and ugly. It's lost all of it's value. Our hearts can do the same thing if we let it, and God will not reside in that heart anymore. That is not a life I want, and definitely not an eternal life I want! Do I need to be best buddies with those who have hurt me? No. They are hurtful people, and I will keep my distance from them, but I have to forgive them and pull the roots of bitterness, hurt and anger out of my heart and soul, and move on.

I heard Beth Moore say, relationships that get us in a deep pit of sin and sorrow are strongholds. Relationships that do that to us have to go or it becomes a stronghold and trips us up for sin. We need to be free from strongholds, it is like death to us... sometimes you have to cut people out of your life because they are disastrous to your life. Forgive, and move on. The pruning process is so we can be more productive and fruitful in our walk with God. God sometimes prunes people out of our life so we can be stronger in our walk with Him. Sometimes, they are relationships we think are ok, but they need to go because they damage us. Sometimes they are obviously bad for us and it is obvious they need to be removed from our life. We have to be obedient to God in what he wants for us and our relationships, and always put our relationship with God first. She did say as she ended, that this does not include your marriage. That is an entirely different subject, this is about other relationships.

Bitterness and hurt are ugly places to live. I am working on pulling out the roots in my heart today. I hope you do the same.


1 comment:

Lori said...

Ouch is right - I'll pray for you as you struggle with this and ask that you prayer for me as I struggle with this issue also.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...