Thursday, March 17, 2011

Life List vs. Bucket List

I was listening to someone talk the other day about the difference between a bucket list and a life list.  She said the difference is on a bucket list, it's things to accomplish before I die, but on a life list, it's things we want to accomplish everyday to make our part of the world a better place.  A life list is about the really important things in life, it's about what we value, what our values mean to us, and how we live according to those values and our core beliefs.  A life list is about the things we do that will leave a legacy, things we will be remembered for long after we are gone.


Bucket lists usually include some extreme things, that usually only involve the person doing them.  A life list is about helping others, and making a difference in the world.


I never have thought about a bucket list for myself.  I guess when I did, it was more of a life list, because I think of things I want to do in ministry, things I want to do to help out others.  Sky diving isn't a priority to me, but helping someone out who needs it, is a priority.  Bungee jumping never has crossed my mind either, but jumping in to help out a struggling teen, I am all over that, because what I am doing is making a difference in someone's life, hopefully for eternity.  Are there places I would like to visit before I die?  Sure.  However, when I get to the end of my life, I am not going to be sad that I didn't see the New England states in their Fall glory.  I think at the end of my life I will think about who I could have helped more, who I could have been a better friend to, and what ministry opportunities I might have missed.  In order to accomplish a life list, we have to look beyond ourselves, not something very popular in the culture we live in.  We have to look around and see what we can do to enhance our world, the place God put us, and we have to be willing to step out of our box and do something.


One way we can help out our life list is to write down ten beliefs we have that we want to live by everyday, and then actually live them out.  There are plenty of opportunities all around you, if you look.  If you believe you want to help the homeless, don't just sit and feel sorry for them, go work in a shelter, sign up with Habitat for Humanity, or gather some clothes and actually help them.  If you believe that teens need a caring adult that can mentor them, don't just say it, or think someone else will do it, go do it.  You may be the only person in that kids life who truly cares about them.  The things you can do are endless.  God gave each of us special talents and gifts, don't waste them.  We can all sit around and say we should do something, or help someone.  I challenge you to stop saying it and go do it.  


What are your core beliefs?  What do you want to do on your life list?  What are you waiting for, the world is waiting!



Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.  Ephesians 5:2









No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...