Monday, April 25, 2011

Cherishing Moments With My Husband

Lately my husband has had to travel out of town more than usual and be gone overnight.  He is a auto claims adjuster for an insurance company and he is helping to fill in for one of the guys on the team who was called out on catastrophe duty because of the tornados and severe hail in North Carolina.  


I don't like my husband to be gone overnight.  The house seems so empty.  The other night I was reading, thinking it must be around midnight.  I glanced at the clock, to find it was about 8:30.  Why do the nights when I am sitting with my hubby go so fast, and it seems that time is never long enough to sit and enjoy his presence, our talks, and just being together?  Happily, I know it's because we love each other, and are committed to our marriage.  We made a vows almost 24 years ago to have a partnership for life, and to grow in love for each other, to stick together through the good times and the tough times. Over the course of our marriage, there have been plenty of both but we make it through, together.  I  know a lot of couples who love when their spouse is away, but I am not one of them.  God made us partners for life, and when half of that partnership is away, things just don't seem right.  


While tears were running down my face, and I was wallowing in pity the last time my hubby pulled out of the driveway to be gone for a couple days, I looked across the street.  My neighbor has been living without her husband for several weeks now.  He went further than three hours away for work, he went to North Dakota, and it's for more than a couple days.  They are trying to not lose everything they have since they both lost their jobs well over a year ago.  He didn't want to go, but there wasn't much choice.  I talked to him a few minutes before he left, and his heart was torn apart having to go so far away from his family.  Last year, he worked about 5 hours away from home for a few months, but it was close enough they could see each other every other weekend, unlike now.  She is at home with a young child, trying to keep things together.  She is a gal who prides herself in making it on her own, but she finally did admit to me that she really doesn't want to do that anymore, and that it gets pretty lonely.   I also thought of my friend down in Washington who lives apart from her husband because of work.  She, too, has a young child to take care of, not to mention all the other household duties.  As God brought both of these women to mind, I said a prayer for both of the dear women, and their children who miss their dads, and I said a prayer for both men, as I know they miss their families.  I pray for God to do some miracles to bring these families back together soon.  I also said a prayer of thanks that even though I don't like the times when my husband has to be away, I am thankful that he is home more than he is on the road.  I am also thankful that after being with the same man for twenty-five years, I still love him and miss him when he is gone.  I cherish our times together. I treasure our love.  I thank God for the gift of my husband.  



1 comment:

Simply Darlene said...

Oh friend! Come down here and we can pass the time, the tissues or maybe just lots of popcorn?

Thank you for the prayers. It gets hard sometimes but just seeing this post gives me courage.

Love and hugs to you!

Blessings.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...