Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Battle

Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done..C.S. Lewis

I opened up my devotional journal this morning and the first verse I read was "Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul." Psalm 143:8 I needed that this morning. I need a reminder of God's unfailing love. I need to remember each moment of each day to rely on Him. I have been wrestling all night with emotions of frustration, anxiety, and even some fear from some of the things that took place in our teen group. About a third of the group is into some very scary stuff, very dark things. I know there is a spiritual battle going every week, but last night it was stronger than it has been. The darkness reared it's head in a more threatening way, a more real way than it has before. I left filled with sadness, anger, and even some fear. This morning the thought I woke up to was greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world, which comes from 1 John 4:4 you belong to God, and you have defeated these enemies. God's Spirit is in you and is more powerful than the one that is in the world. I needed that reminder.

Sometimes the battle is overwhelming. At times like this I need to turn to God's word more than ever and be reassured that He is in charge, no matter what happens. Jesus has already won my battles because He died on the cross. I need to take those battles and give them to Him and not let them have victory over me. I already have victory in every battle I face, even if it may not seem like a win here on earth. I need to remember each day as I face those battles to be prepared:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6: 10-17


We are in a spiritual battle, a war, and we are all warriors. We have to choose which army we belong to, God's or satans. The battle isn't easy, but I choose Christ.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13

2 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

Do remember you are not alone...

"praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak." ~ Eph. 6:18-20

...my continual support for the LHGH leadership is the remaining Whole Armor of God verse. Prayer.

Through the combined prayers of the saints, we are putting the unseen piece of armor in place!

Lori said...

I choose Christ and stand beside you. May you receive a blessing today and everyday that follows for your dedicated work with teens. Love ya

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...