Thursday, July 8, 2010

Inside Out

Going through the motions doesn't please you,
a flawless performance is nothing to you.
I learned God-worship
when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love
don't for a moment escape God's notice.
Psalm 51:16-17   The Message



And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.  Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.  Romans 12:1-2




Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. Psalm 90:1-2

My heart is kind of weighed down today.  I have been spending some time with God tonight to get some perspective.  There have been a lot of things weighing on my heart this week. The death of a young couple whom I did not know, but are from my hometown.  When you grow up in a small town, things are different than in the city. Even after you leave there, your heart is still connected.  Even though I did not personally know them, I know many who did know them and have seen and felt their heartache the past few days. Their lives seemed to touch many.  I look at her face on the many pictures being posted of her on facebook, and her smile is infectious.  I pray for their families and friends to find hope and comfort in this time of tragedy.  Sandpoint also lost a wonderful man I have known since I was in high school who always had a warm smile for all he met.  Vern was a quiet man, but very warm and friendly, and loved to joke around with those he knew.  He will also leave a big void in the Sandpoint community.  I am glad I had the privilege to know him.

There have been a lot of other things going on with friends of mine that are leaving marks and scars on lives and hearts that really don't need to be there, if pride was laid down, and eyes and lives were turned to Jesus. 

I am thankful that I have the hope of Jesus Christ in my life.  I have to choose every moment of every day whether or not I am willing to lay down my pride, and allow God to fully consume my life.  I have to decide to not be filled with pride, and allow my heart to shatter for God so that I am more like Him, not the world, not what I want.  Is it always easy to do?  No.  Sometimes it's very, very difficult because I think I have the answers, which are usually the wrong when I only include me in the equation, by the way.  But a life of truly following Christ as my Savior, a life of true worship is one that mirrors the life of Christ, not the world.  It's being different, and letting the world know that only Christ gives me true hope in this life, through good times, and through the times that make me wonder why things happened the way they do. 

Lord, help me to bring you praise from the inside out...let it be a permanent cry of my heart as I strive to live for you.


1 comment:

Beth said...

Our small town just lost three members. Two were boys who would have been seniors at the high school. I didn't know them nor do I know the families, but the loss still reverberates around the town.
The other was a man of 42--hospitalized--heart gave out. Many knew him, including my husband. "Good guy--too young." Again, the loss is felt throughout this small town. That is the beauty and the heartache of small towns--you share in everything.

Your post reaches out to me. I appreciate the realness of it.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...