Friday, November 30, 2012

Thankfulness, Fear, Worry, Trust





Today ends the official November days of thanks, but I hope each day to carry thankfulness in my heart.  It can be challenging, particularly if getting wrapped up in the wrong thoughts or if getting consumed with fears, worries, circumstances, but God always wants us to give thanks, despite and beyond our circumstances.  He gives us blessings everyday.  If we miss them, it's because we aren't paying attention to them, or to Him.  






I must admit, there have been a few challenging days for me lately with thoughts of things going on in our world, fiscal cliff free fall talk, and difficult things going on with those I know and care about, and I have found myself consumed with worry, fear, and stress on things I have absolutely no control over.  My husband confronted me last night about it, and asked why I was so worried.  I asked why he wasn't.  He told me he has had a few brief moments of worrying about it, but then he prayed and God has overwhelmed him with peace.  I almost got angry, wondering to myself why I wasn't overwhelmed with peace, because I have been praying about it a lot, and as I am wondering that, it was like God whispered to me, you aren't allowing me to overwhelm you with peace because you are consumed with worry and what if's.  I had a brief moment of ouch, that hurt, but went back to worrying, and it wasn't until tonight that it really hit me.  I have had a tendency to be a worrier since I was a little girl.  So, learning to let go and let God deal with those fears and worries can be a challenge to me.  I have realized tonight how much joy has been taken from me in the past couple days because of the what-if's I keep playing over and over in my head, the thoughts I have let the enemy fill, not my Creator.  Funny thing is, when others are having a difficult time, I always share this verse with them that has helped me through many situations.  Unfortunately, I have not focused on it enough lately.  






 I am in two private groups on Facebook for my life coaching, follow several of my instructors and mentors on Twitter, and on these worry-filled days, I have found many words of encouragement to keep going, focus on God, let worries and fears go because God is in control and is bigger than anything we will face in this life.  I find words that say if I worry, I don't trust God, I am trusting in me...ouch! I have opened up my Bible or get on YouVersion Bible on my iPhone, and God directs me to the same thoughts that many are posting...TRUST that God knows what HE is doing, He is in control, stop being scared, stop worrying, LIVE life, BE there for others, SERVE GOD, LOOK AND SEE the blessings.  Be thankful.  God is already in tomorrow, so don't worry about it, He has gone before me.  These messages have appeared over and over.  I get several verse of the day, devotions, quotes in my email.  They have all been on the same subject, as well.  Think God is trying to make a point to me?  I do.  Here are some quotes that came just tonight:


It's hard to be full of grace when you're full of fear.  ~Cornelius Plantinga, Jr 


Gratitude consists of being more aware of what you have, than what you don't.  What are you grateful for? 


"If we belong to Christ, satan has no right to exercise authority over us; but he hopes we are too ignorant regarding Scripture to know it."  ~Beth Moore


Hate is not the first enemy of Love.  Fear is.  It destroys your ability to trust.


We must look up in order to move forward...looking around will confuse, paralyze, distract, depress, limit or terrify you.  ~Christine Caine



There will be difficulties in life, it's guaranteed.  But, I have to choose to trust God in everything, not doubt or fear.  He has promised to help me, to be with me, to guide me if I let Him, to provide for our needs.  In the meantime, I have to live focused on His goodness, be thankful and grateful for the many wonderful blessings He has provided for me, and to let the JOY OF THE LORD be my STRENGTH.  







I do always try to find the blessings of each day, no matter what.  I needed a good refocus tonight as I got way off track sometime last night, and throughout today.  So today, I am thankful for the gift to start over, and over, and over again.  God gives me, us, re-do's all the time, it's called grace.  I have to ask for Him to forgive me of my fear and doubt, and to wash my thoughts with His thoughts, so I can focus on Him and His Word, because fear and worry is a sin on my part.  He wants my full, unwavering trust, sometimes much easier to write and say, than to actually do.  But, I am going to work on it, and since I have lived in this body for awhile now, I know I will have to keep working on it.  I am going to try hard to replace worry and fear with joy and thanksgiving, to focus on the truth found in God's word, and to keep my thoughts on what is pure and from God, with love and helping others at the core of my day.  





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thx for your honesty. I have been having probs living in fear too so much so overwhelming so stressful. Your post helped a lot.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...