Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gifts

I was reading a post on Aspire to Lead A Quiet Life the other day, and she was talking about a post she read about listing 1000 Gifts. I challenge you to go read the post for yourself, it really gets your mind thinking about gratitude, and the experience that are unique to my life and the gifts in those experiences. Some of what she says: Yet my list is different than another's for a reason: God has made me uniquely me. The Gift List is about gratitude... but it is more. It is about what defines me and my own personal identity. Will you too begin your list of a Thousand Gifts? It will change your life. Guaranteed.


I started my list a couple days ago. First, I just sat down and wrote out words, simple, usually one word for each thing. Then I started to think about it, and on some of my gifts, I have written nearly a page to say why I am thankful for that gift. Each person's will be different because our lives are different. Even though my husband and I live in the same house and experience a lot of the same things, I am sure that my list will look much different than his.

I take my list with me so I can write when I feel especially grateful for something, or touched by someone or something. I think it's a great way to focus on the good we have in our lives, the blessings that we sometimes overlook. It's also a great tool to have to look over when things are not going so well in our lives. Do you notice the little things and are you thankful for them? Will you join us as we make a list of 1000 gifts? If you want, share some here and bless others.

Some of mine:

~The gift of Jesus Christ, my Savior. Without Him, I would have no hope, but in Him and through Him, I have life and salvation.

~The majesty and grace of an eagle. They are so mighty, yet so graceful as they glide across the clouds.

~Laughter

~Sunsets- One of God's masterpieces

~I am grateful for the gift of having my Gram live out here the last 13 years of her life, and getting to reconnect with her. We had a very special relationship, and I miss her a lot, but cherish the memories we made.

~Growing up in a family that loved each other and cared about each other.

~My husband and all we have been through the past 22 years. He truly is a blessing to me.

~Hummingbirds

~True friends who stick by you through the good times and the bad times.

~Music

Those are just a few. Please share some of yours! Grab a notebook or journal and see how this can change your life.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

2 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

You, my friend, are truly a gift and have been for the past 16 months. God brought us together as He knew we were about to share a common void.

And Ann Voskamp, over at a Holy Experience, is who inspired my list of 1000 Gifts. She definitely has the spiritually literary gift used to touch souls.

Blessings.

Lori said...

I also have started my list and of course on top is the relationship I have with Jesus Christ. Other things mentioned on my list are my kids and husband, rainbows, gentle breezes, my cousins blog, Cinnabons, potluck Sundays, pets who understand you and friendships with like minded Christian people to name a few.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...