Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Almost Missed That Blessing

This summer I met a new friend.  We became friends rather quickly, and have found we are quite a bit alike.  I greatly treasure this new friendship and am thankful for God blessing me with my new friend.  

The sad part of this relationship is that we are very close neighbors, and have been for five years.  How have we missed each other?  How have we missed the blessing of being friends before this past July?  We have both asked this question, and both find it odd that we live right by each other, but different streets, and attend the same church, and didn't even know each other until this summer when I recognized one of her kids at church.  


I sadly admit that I don't know many of my neighbors well, even though I live in town.  I know a few because of their kids hanging out at our house. I know a couple others pretty well, but that is all.  It's sad.  It's sad that our society has become that way, that we can literally share yards with someone but not know who they are, not know their needs, their joys, their sadness, sometimes not even know their names.  As I admitted above, I am just as guilty as the next person, but since meeting my neighbor, my new friend, I realize I need to try to get to know some of the people I live around a little better.  Granted, some will not allow that as they don't let people in their lives, but some will.  I want to get to know those people.  I know that I probably won't find a good friend in each one, but I can still get to know them.  I want to be able to wave when driving by, and actually know who the people are, not just wave because they live in my neighborhood.  I want to care about the people in my little development.  I want them to see a life that lives for Jesus in me.  


How about you?  Who in our neighborhood, work environment, classroom, church, community can you reach out to and say hi, and share a smile with to help brighten their day?  If we want to change the world, it has to start with us.  You.  Me. 


What can you do today to reach out to someone and maybe, like me, be blessed with an amazing new friend? Or, at very least, learn someone's name and help someone out in some way?  Be a blessing.  Reach out.  




No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...