Tuesday, May 1, 2007

May Day

May Day was a beautiful day! The temperature on our thermometer showed 73! It was gorgeous. I got the day off from work, so decided to go out to Hauser Lake to look for goslings. I pulled in to the boat landing and dock and it was empty so I let Maddie out to go for her first swim of the season, except for her brief visits in mom and dad's backyard pond. I was leisurely strollng along the shore looking for a stick to throw for Maddie, walking her on her leash, enjoying the yellow-headed black birds sqwacking in the reeds, watching an osprey and numerous ducks fly by, when I finally spotted a stick. I picked it up, and Maddie got so excited, she bolted to the water, dragging me behind! I'm yelling at her to stop as I'm trying to get my hand out of the loop of her leash, but she kept running with a huge smile across her face. I finally got my hand out of the loop, just as we hit the waters edge. My feet and the bottom of my jeans got a bit wet, but not too bad. Of course, after she got out from her 20 minute swim, she shook all over me, jumped on me with her muddy feet, and got me almost as wet as she was. This would not have been too bad, but I was heading to Coeur d'Alene after our lake visit. I decided to dry off a bit, so I drove around the lake to see if I could find any goslings, and saw quite a few at a distance. I also enjoyed seeingblue herons, a couple of grebes, many mallards, and on the way out there was a coyote in a field hunting mice.




While in Coeur d'Alene, I went to Camera Corral and took another plunge. My zoom lens has seen better days and the motor in it is really acting up, so I went in to check on a new zoom. The price wasn't too bad, at least if you are a camera buff, and I would be upgrading from a 100-200 zoom, to a 75-300, so I tried to keep justifying the price for the upgrade. I called Thane and talked it over with him, and fifteen minutes later was back making my purchase. After arriving home, I had to see how well it worked so took pictures of my May Day Flowers.




Thane came home from work and wanted to try to go fishing. It was clouding up and a little breezy, but we thought it would be fine to run out to Hauser and give it a try. We should have taken a hint from those with big boats who were coming in, but we didn't. We even had a lady who was holding her boat while her husband got their truck and trailer, tell us they just got beat up so bad out on the lake they had to come in. They had a big fishing boat, with a cover and rocking chairs inside, and two motors on the back, unlike our 12 foot aluminum boat, just big enough for the two of us. We put our tiny fishing boat, with oars, out in the lake. It was quite windy, and very cold, but we braved it. We had on every coat in the truck and were still freezing. The wind got worse, and we started to drift straight towards some angry geese who were not happy that we were coming closer to them. We decided it was too cold, and it just wasn't worth tipping over so went back to shore before we had to call may day to get some help because we had capsized and had angry Canadian geese chasing us because we got too close to their babies.

On the way home, the moon was rising over the mountains in Coeur d'Alene. When we first got to the highway, it was huge, but there wasn't anywhere with a good view to pull over to take a picture. Once we got back to our neighborhood, it was still beautiful, so snapped a few pictures. What a beautiful end to another wonderful day.

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...