Friday, July 6, 2007

Garden

Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity.
~Lindley Karstens




The kiss of the sun for pardon,

The song of the birds for mirth,

One is nearer God's heart in a garden

Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney



Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas. ~Elizabeth Murray



I've been out in my garden this morning. I've been admiring the intricate beauty in each flower, watching the bees collect nectar, and begging my corn and carrots to speed up their growth process, as they seem to be lagging a bit. My tomotoes, lettuce, spinach, peas and beans seem to be on schedule and we will be enjoying juicy home grown tomatoes before too long, thanks to my mom for starting them early. I get peace when I'm in my garden. The things weighing heavy in life seem to disappear for a little bit. I think of how Adam and Eve lived in a perfect, luscious, beautiful garden; something I'm sure we can't even begin to imagine. There wasn't knapweed, hawkweed, crabgrass and all the things we have to deal with in our gardens. It was perfect. They were surrounded by lush beauty, and yet they weren't content to just walk with God and enjoy their surroundings. I guess like I do so many times, they took their eyes off God and got wrapped up in themselves, and they sinned. God didn't walk away from them; as a matter of fact he pursued them while they were hiding. Yeah, like we can hide from God! But, I know I've done the same thing, maybe in a different way, but when I've done something I know is wrong, there have been times when I've either justified it with excuses, blamed someone else, or ignored it and hoped it would go away, but it doesn't. The guilt hangs on. Fortunately, God is always there to take me back and forgive what I've done, all I have to do is ask. He is the ultimate gardener in my life-he prunes away the stuff in my life that isn't healthy for me, he weeds out the things stopping me from growing closer to him, he gives me a drink beside a still stream by allowing me to talk to him, he gives me a boost to help me grow by providing his word to me, and he provides a harvest through me by reaching out to the hurting and lost and caring for them.
I am thankful for my garden. I am more thankful for the Gardener in my life.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. John 15:1-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the beautiful flowers. I will have to send some pictures of mine. You should put all these comments in book form and get it published. Maybe some day. Keep up the great job of blogging.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...