Friday, November 16, 2007

Justice

"Barry Bonds was indicted for perjury and obstruction of justice Thursday and could go to prison instead of the Hall of Fame for telling a federal grand jury he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs.......Then came the indictment -- four counts of perjury, one of obstruction of justice; a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison -- and Bonds' lawyers seemed caught off guard."

I'm not defending Barry Bonds here, but doesn't 30 years of possible imprisionment seem a bit ridiculous? I know of rapist, killers, major crimes people who serve less time than this. Many get off completely free, while others serve one to two years and are let out. I'm not saying that using performance enhancing drugs is right, because it's not, nor is perjury, but compared to murder and raping a child, or anyone for that matter, it seems pretty minor. I wonder if Joseph Duncan will serve this much time? A girl I know was violently raped at a young age and the man who raped her only served two years. There is always a chance Bonds will get off completely free, but if he does go to prison for thirty years, this countries justice system needs to be seriously re-evaluated, which I believe it does, anyway. I am thankful to live in a free country, and I am thankful that we have a better justice system than most countries, but we definitely need to find a balance here.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I thought the same thing when I read this. I know a mother who killed her baby and got 18 months in prison. 30 years is to much.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...