Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Carrot Thief

I decided to make some chicken soup on Sunday night, so went to the garden to pull a few carrots to put in the soup. Imagine my surprise when I got out to my garden and found half the row of carrots was missing. We have a six to seven foot fence, so I knew that the carrots had not been eaten by deer. I don't think rabbits could get in our yard, either. Upon closer inspection, I saw a footprint, and a half eaten carrot. Hmm, what could the culprit be that was eating my yummy home grown carrots? Gee, it looked like a dog print up in the mud of my raised bed, but as I look over at my dog, she looks so....so....guilty! She looked at the carrots and then looked around like 'it wasn't me,' then looked back at me with the most innocent face she could find. As I picked up a half eaten carrot, she got the guiltiest look on her face. She is a golden retriever so she doesn't hide guilt well. All the Goldens we've ever had have shown their guilt, even if you don't have any idea why they are guilty. I remember Rusty, a golden we had when I was growing up, came crawling on his belly across the yard, with his head down, which meant he did something he shouldn't have done, but we had no idea what he did. I remember we laughed because we never did figure out what he did that he felt such guilt over. Getting back to my carrot stealing dog....the night before I made the soup, my hubby had let her in for the night, and she had a muddy carrot in her mouth. It should have been our first clue that she was stealing those delicious carrots, but I remember I tossed her a carrot out of the fridge, from Costco, for a treat. She has loved carrots since she was a pup, so they make a healthy treat for her. I figured the carrot she was so proudly carrying was that carrot, but obviously I was wrong. I still have not caught her in the raised bed stealing my carrots, but I guess we will continue to share what is left of the carrots with her. At least it's a healthy snack!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

She's beautiful. You sure can't get very mad at a face like that!

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...