Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Holiday Grouchiness

I must say that I am getting a bit irritated about the holiday. Yes, the holiday is making me grumpy. I am so tired of everything being holiday song, holiday party, holiday tree, holiday musical, holiday card, holiday lights, holiday stamps, holiday, holiday, holiday. How about holyday? That is what December 25th is about. It's a holy day. It's CHRISTmas. I have been purposely saying Merry Christmas to clerks in stores, and servers in restaurants. Many seem happy when you say that because most say it back with a large smile. It's like I am giving them permission to say the 'naughty' word. I heard a clerk say happy holidays to a gentleman beside me the other day, and he said, "No! It is not a happy holiday, it is Merry Christmas and I am going to keep it that way, I don't care what anyone says.' Our pastor said we should be walking around saying Merry Christbirthdaymas, which is just too much of a mouth full for me, but it's a good idea. My three year old niece asked me a question a month ago when we went by gift bags and party supplies while shopping, 'So, who's birthday is next?' Of course, we had just celebrated her third birthday so birthday's were fresh in her mind. I told her Jesus birthday was next. She looked at me funny, and said 'Jesus?' I said 'yes, Jesus birthday is why we have Christmas.' She has been told that by her parents, but at three, you need reminders. She thought a minute, and said we needed to buy Jesus a present. For the past month, she has been saying the same thing while out shopping. I guess she even told a clerk in the store that it was Jesus birthday. Out of the mouths of babes, who don't know about political correctness yet, comes truth. How much do we as adults, who believe that Jesus came as a baby to save us, are out telling those around us that it's Jesus birthday? Do we buy into the holiday talk, or are we saying Merry CHRISTmas, and happy holyday?

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. Romans 10:9-10

2 comments:

Sandi said...

It is sad but some business the employees are not allow to say merry christmas unless the customer says it first. Some many not even say it then. I saw this from personal exsperance and heard about it on CNN.
Just keep saying Merry Christmas

Kathy said...

I agree with everything you said!

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...