Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Power of Words

A group of frogs were traveling through the woods, and two of them fell into a deep pit. All the other frogs gathered around the pit. When they saw how deep the pit was, they told the two frogs that they were as good as dead.

The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit with all of their might. The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and gave up. He fell down and died.
The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and just die. He jumped even harder and finally made it out.


When he got out, the other frogs said, "Did you not hear us?" The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.

This story gives us thoughts to think about:
1. An encouraging word to someone who is down can encourage them to achieve their goal.
2. A destructive word to someone who is down can have negative effects. Be careful of what you say.

I have been both the giver and receiver of discouraging, hurtful words over the past week. As much as I try to let the words that were said to me that hurt me roll off, they are still there and still hurt. I have forgiven the person, but the sting of those words remains. The person who said these words to me doesn't really know me. This person makes a lot of presumptions but really doesn't take the time to really know the true you. This person evidently has a lot of unresolved hurt because the words that come out of this person's mouth are very hurtful to many receivers, and can be like poison to those who may not know how to process what was said.

On the other hand, I made some hurtful comments to the person I am closest with this week. I hurt my husband with my words. I feel horrible, and have apologized. I knew shortly after saying them that I was very wrong. I could sit and make excuses on why I said what I said, but that doesn't make it right. None of it is his fault, just circumstances of different situations beyond either one of our control. I was still in the wrong and I hurt the person I love the most. I have a loving man, and he has forgiven me, but I still have a lot of hurt in my heart for what I said to him. I am sure that the sting remains with him, as well. I wish I could take those words back, but that is the problem with words. Once they are spoken or written and sent, there isn't any taking them back.

Think about what you say and in what tone you say it. Think about if your words are building up someone and encouraging them, or if they are tearing them down and destroying them. A lot of times, it's not a lot of words that either lift others, or ourselves, up or rip us down, but just a short phrase, one or two words, and the attitude behind it. Be careful. Are your words encouraging someone to give up and give in, or are they encouraging someone to press on and accomplish great things?

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you,O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions. Hatred stirs up quarrels, but love makes up for all offenses. Proverbs 10:11-12

Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift. Ephesians 4:29

And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! James 4:4-10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was Pastor Chuck who said - write your feelings in a letter to your loved one - put it somewhere they won't find it and pray about the words you wrote than distroy it before anyone else ever see it. It is amazing how by just writing our feelings out can help. I've done it and burned the letter before my honey even knew it existed and he still doesn't know I wrote it all those years ago.

SimplyDarlene said...

LLLH,
Remember that what another thinks of you is their business. They own it. It is theirs. Really, it has nothing to do with you. It is their impression, their thought, their idea.

Alas we are human and we hurt, bleed, cry... But our Comforter will heal us.

Blessings my friend,
A Simple Country Girl

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that your heart is hurting. You are such a giving person. Praying for you and your husband. Love you guys:)

Anonymous said...

I love you sweetheart Thank you for the encouraging words today. See ya soon!! Love ya

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...