Thursday, January 8, 2009

Things That Go Bump in the Night

My hubby is out of town tonight for his job, and thankfully, he will be home sometime Friday! Since I am in the house alone, I don't expect to hear too many noises, so when I heard a grinding sound coming out of the kitchen tonight, you can imagine my concern. I listened closer to figure out what the sound was. It sounded like one of the kitchen chairs being pushed across the floor, but how could that be, and what was pushing it since I was the only one in the house? I swallowed hard, as my heart beat a little bit faster, and I listened even more. Yes, it was definitely one of the chairs grinding across the floor. I also heard a crinkling sound. I was definitely getting worried now! What, or who, was in my kitchen. Not sure what that noise was, I looked around, wondering where my guard dog was, and couldn't find her. I called her, and called her again, and heard the chair move once again, with a light thud on the kitchen floor. Suddenly, a guilty looking Golden emerges from around the corner of the kitchen. She had guilt written all over her somewhat smiling face, as she trotted into the living room, with her head somewhat down in shame, but not too much. I just looked at her, and thought 'no way did she move that chair.' I had moved a chair over by my corner cabinet to get something off a higher shelf a little before this happened, and hadn't put it back at the table because my hands were full. I hadn't been to the kitchen since, so I forgot that the chair was still sitting there. Well, when I went back out to the kitchen after hearing the noises, I see that the chair has been moved about two feet, over by the refrigerator. I look at the dog, who is refusing to look at me. See, I opened a bag of Newman's Dog Treats about an hour before this, and set them on the counter. Well, evidently, my dog decided she needed another treat but couldn't reach them so moved the chair over to get one, because the bag had definitely been moved. I don't believe she got a treat out of the bag because they were zip locked, but then again, I don't put anything past her at this point. I know that 'experts' say dogs can't reason or remember, but evidently she watched me move the chair, get on it to retrieve what I needed and then thought that she would do the same. I still can't believe she moved the chair. I need to get a sensor camera in my kitchen to see exactly what she does do when we aren't watching!

Recently, a friend of mine was sharing with me how she bought cheese at Costco, you know, the BIG loaf. She said she would come home and it would be gone and she kept asking her husband what he kept doing with the cheese. He claimed his innocence and said he hadn't touched it. She wondered if someone came in their house while they were at work and just took their cheese, but thought that was a bit weird. Her husband is a contractor and has those sensor cameras, so they set a couple up while they were at work. They caught their thief. Seems their Lab came through the dog door, opened the refrigerator, took the loaf of cheese out, closed the refrigerator door, and ran outside with the loaf of cheese. I told her it was nice that at least the dog closed the refrigerator door!

I don't know, Mrs. Love, I think we might have read too much Animal Farm in your English class, because it might be coming true!!

2 comments:

MLove said...

You would not believe how much I think about Animal Farm now that I spend more time than ever with my pets.

Maybe that's why I'm so paranoic about their care. As for the Costco cheese block missing, that would be fightin' words if my pups ever pulled something like that! :)

I love my Costco Cheese blocks as much or more than my critters!

Sandi said...

I enjoyed this. I can imgine it happening as we have a friend whoes dog turns the water on drinks out of the fauset. Yes the dog turns it off too

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...