Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Present

While at the show over the weekend, my husband stopped off to look at the fishing boats after we finished eating lunch. I went back to the booth. About half an hour later, I receive a text from him 'I love you.' Two seconds later, 'Happy Valentine's Day.' I started to get nervous....he didn't...he wouldn't do that without talking to me first..................would he? My cousin and my sister are suddenly quite amused with my panic, so they go for a walk. My sister comes back laughing so hard, she can verily contain herself. Now, I am really nervous. Suddenly, all the vendors around us seem amused with what is playing out. I leave my laughing sister in the booth, while I go for a little stroll to find my husband. There he stands, looking at me with a Cheshire cat grin across his face. I walk over and say 'you didn't, did you?' The grin gets bigger. 'But we didn't talk about it...you just bought it without talking to me?' The grin continues.

The only time my husband has made a large purchase without me knowing about it was when he traded in my old, falling apart Blazer and got me a Bravada for Christmas several years ago. He worked at the Chevy dealership and had it all worked out with his boss beforehand. I had to open a series of boxes to find a key. After finding the key, we had to go into town to get the car.

Back to the boat. I suddenly have different men coming over to congratulate me and tell me what a great boat it is, and that we got a good deal, and that they spent a lot more on their boats that weren't as nice....and I'm still standing there in shock. By the time I get back to the booth, my friend had gone and bought me a present. It is a sign that says,

Give a man a fish
and you feed him
for a day. Teach a
man to fish & he will
have to buy a boat!
As I read it, I am surrounded with laughter by family and friends. I seem to be the only one not so amused. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't mad, just in shock. I still am in shock, to be honest with you.

Later that evening, I find out that my cousin and sister were sending texts to my husband telling him to go for it, that I wanted him to buy it, and on and on. It's nice when your family gangs up against you, you know.

For the rest of the day, men kept walking by telling me what a great deal we got on that boat!! I think my husband must have bribed them to come by and tell me that with as many as stopped by. Either that or it's the secret society of men who buy boats banding together to convince the wife it's a good thing.

I do look forward to the nicer weather and getting out on the water in a boat I feel safe in. Until three years ago, we had never owned a boat. At that time, we purchased 10 foot row boat from the early 70's, with a 2 hp motor from 1972! If the wind came up, it blew us across the lake faster than that motor would take us. If the wind came up in the opposite direction, we went with the wind. I was always fearful of being run over by big boats that didn't see us, as we sat out on the water. We've wanted a better boat for a long time, but have never pursued buying one. Well, now we have it and it will be fun to take out on all the lakes in this region. It's funny how the entire Spring and Summer are now planned with family and friends, and the boat. I know lots of great memories will be made in that boat, and I look forward to getting out on the lakes and rivers, to explore more of God's creation. My husband said to me 'just think of the great photos you will get to take, and of all the beautiful areas you will get to see that we've never been to before. He had to pull the photo card out, didn't he? He knows my weakness is exploring new places with my camera!

While I am still in shock, I do look forward with great anticipation to warmer weather, and getting out to explore and enjoy God's creation in a new way.

3 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

Too funny. Several years ago my lovely husband bought me a Valentine's gift at a sportsman show over here in Portland.

What is it with men and the love they must show us while at a sportsman show? Testosterone-maybe. My gift is smaller. Black. And projects things at an alarming speed.

Maybe we should take our husbands to a photo-womans show to share our love with them!

Lenses. Mattes. Frames. Printers. Memory cards. Cameras.

live love laugh hope said...

Amen, girl! Sounds good! He reminded me that we could buy almost three boats with what he lost in his 401k in two months time! Yes, but....it's still a big purchase! I already have the small present. =)

Anonymous said...

The family thinks it is great. They pay for it - we get to use it with them. What better scenero could you have!

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...