Thursday, January 28, 2010

Can You Hear the Whisper?

“ Make time for the quiet moments for God whispers, and the
world is loud.”

I saw this sign while shopping a few days ago. I have been thinking about it ever since. We live in a very, very loud world. We can't hear God with the media overload our culture embraces whether it's tv, music, cell phones, virtual worlds on a tv or computer screen. We can't hear God over crowds, cars, trains, airplanes, or just the noise that surrounds us almost every moment of every day. Listen for a minute...is it quiet around you? I can hear cars, a train, the buzz of the computer, my dog breathing as she lays on my feet, a neighbor dog barking in the distance, and music, and it's midnight so the noise is less than it is during the day. Far from being quiet as I sit here in the middle of the night.


For that matter, we can't hear God, or anyone else if we don't stop talking, and start to listen. We also can't hear whispers when we are constantly surrounded by busyness. When is the last time you were completely quiet, and just sat in the silence? Total silence. Total silence can be difficult to find these days. There is so much noise, everywhere, all around. God will not compete with the noise in our lives that drowns out His voice. He waits for us to come to Him, in the quiet, so we can hear His soft voice, His whisper. He waits for us to be still so we can hear Him, and know Him.

I admit, I like music on, and I have a hard time with silence. I think I have always been that way, at least for a really long time. I can intently listen, I just like music on around me. Yes, sometimes the music can lead us to great times where we are praising God in worship, but can we hear His whisper? Maybe during times of worship we can hear Him, I think we can. I would like to know what you think, so please share your thoughts. The problem I face, is to keep that focus on God, and God alone, not to let my mind drift off to my long to do list waiting for me, or the grocery list, or I forgot to do.....whatever... Distractions come in many ways to take our focus, our thoughts, off just listening to our Father. It's easy to talk or be surrounded by noise. It's not easy to be still and quiet, to shut off the many thoughts racing through our brains, and just focus. It's not easy to shut off our electronic world, either. Are you willing to find time to be still, to listen to your Father this week? I know I need to work at it, and I hope you will join me in shutting down some of the noise in the world we live in, and just taking time to be quiet before your Father.

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalms 46:10



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frist time I read this quote was at a friends bathroom a few years ago. It's funny, like you I found myself thinking about the quote through out the day. Hmm...the world is loud and God whispers. How true is that. I thought. A few months later I went back to her house and made a point to go to her restroom to take a picture of it. Now, years later while fliping through my pictures on my cell phone. I take a moment to read it in which it brought me to this site. Thanks for sharing your story with me and God Bless you with more silent moments. Dulie

Sean Michael Afable said...

Saw a wall hanging of this quote in a boba shop. How so very true... ;) It's very similar to what I tell tell the highschoolers I mentor.

Thanks for sharing!

GBU!

- Sean Michael Afable

Anonymous said...

This post was so beautiful. Thank you, so much, for sharing it. I used to have this quote in my home and just did a search to see if I could find the exact wording for a speech I'm writing. What I have also found is that our God calls all of us to an intimate relationship and no place can the dynamic of that type of a relationship be more realized than in the silence of His presence at Eucharistic Adoration! This christian truth is confirmed in scripture and it is the greatest gift we are given here in this lifetime. I suggest anyone who reads your post goes and visits our Lord and sees for him/her self. Peace & Blessings....

Unknown said...

There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl's complexion. See the link below for more info.


#complexion
www.ufgop.org

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...