Tuesday, November 22, 2011

30 days of Thanks







Today I am thankful for my camera.  My camera is my therapist.  When I need to get away, refresh, think things through, I grab my camera and go for a drive, and snap away at whatever beauty God puts in front of me.  There is beauty almost everywhere, if we choose to see it, and I try to do that with or without my camera.  I often see some small details, that may be overlooked, because I am a photographer. My camera and I have spent many wonderful hours together, capturing the beauty God has laid before all of us.  Photography is my way to unwind when life gets a little too wound up!  I can easily get lost in a sunset, drift off at a lake, and get mesmerized in the details I see in a flower, a raindrop, or flake of snow.  




 Photography is definitely one of my strong passions, and although I have great room for improvement, I see the improvement I make every year as I look over old photos. I love just playing around with settings, not knowing what will show up on the captured image.  I tried to take time to be specific about the settings, but it became too much to think about, and took the time of unwinding away, so most of the time, I just shoot, mess with a few settings, and see what I get.  I like it that way.  



I also enjoy sharing my camera with others to help them enjoy and learn the love of photography. My young nieces are in that group, and I love to look at what their young eyes see.  



I have enjoyed taking photos since I was nine years old.  I remember my first camera well..it was a little black Kodak camera.  It had a 'case' that flipped over the top, and that 'case' hinged to the side of the camera when you were taking the picture.  I remember the day I went to the Image Maker in Sandpoint and got my first real camera.  I think I was 20 years old.  It was a Canon EOS, and it was capable of having different lenses! I was so excited.  I couldn't afford any other lenses at the time, but eventually I added a zoom lens to my collection.  I remember almost six years ago when my hubby suggested I get a digital camera.  I didn't know why I needed a new camera because my 15 year old Canon was working fine!  I mean, why do I want to switch to a digital camera?  I was sure they didn't take as good of pictures as my film camera.  Well, he bought me a digital Canon anyway, and for awhile, I carried both cameras with me, usually using my film camera.  However, once I started using the digital, I saw a great improvement in the quality of the pictures I was developing, and I didn't have to buy film!  Now, I must say, my first camera has joined the collection of old cameras I have.  I still cherish it, as we had many wonderful times together!  




"Photographers view the world through a lens of gratitude."








No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...