Friday, August 31, 2007

Home

It was painful yesterday, but I cut the tops of my tomatoes off. I felt like I was torturing them as I did it. The plants are loaded with tomatoes, but they are not ripening. So, out I went to cut all new blossoms off and the tops of most of the plants went away as well. I've never had this problem before. My tomatoes usually only get a foot tall and not very wide, with just a few tomatoes on each plant. This year, the plants look like a jungle out in my raised bed. I think we are even going to get corn. It was so far behind that I truly doubted a harvest, but we have nice sized ears coming on, and I would guess by next week, we will be enjoying fresh corn. The beans have done well, and are still producing, and my peas are producing again. The carrots look like they are about ready to pull and start enjoying. Yum....I love fresh stuff out of the garden! I even picked about 10 plums off our small yellow plum tree. The fruit is a bit tart, but not bad. It's almost starting to feel like home here. We just need to get some dirt and grass in the backyard, and continue the garden area, and it will be really nice. However, archery season is upon us, so some projects will be put on the back burner for now. I would just love to get the yard finished and enjoy it, but it all takes a lot of time, effort, and money, so we pace ourselves. The front yard is looking nice, I just need to get out and cut down the dead stuff and we need to finish the front porch with some type of railing or posts. It's amazing how much needs finished or redone here, considering we bought a home that had only been lived in for five months. The contractor obviously didn't find it necessary to provide many of the finishing touches outside, like a yard, and inside they did the cheapest paint possible, so we are finding that most rooms need a good coat of paint. We have replaced the ugly lights they put in this house, the cheaper the better seemed to be the theme. There's never a dull moment when owning a home! I think we are just getting around to wanting to do stuff now because we had just remodeled in Sandpoint before we knew we were moving-new flooring, new paint, new lights-so we were tired of it by the time we moved in and just lived with it for a year, but now we are making it our home, with our special touches. I'm sure we will be doing that for many years to come, as it's a never-ending process. We have a lot of vision of what we would like to see done around here. It's good to have a place to call home.

"He is happiest, be it king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." ~Goethe


A house is built with boards and beams,A home is built with love and dreams.

1 comment:

Lanel said...

Funny corn story -- when I was younger we had a small garden in our back yard. Us kids were so excited about it, especially the corn growing along the fence. We took really good care of that garden. The corn was growing beautifully and we couldn't wait for it to be ripe so we could enjoy some fresh corn on the cob.

One day my mom was looking out the kitchen window and thought the corn looked shorter than it was the day before. But, that's impossible so she didn't think any more about it. Then next day, the corn that had been as tall as the fence was now a good couple of inches shorter than the top of the fence. Of course we had to investigate. Seems a family of gophers was as excited about our corn as we were. They were eating it from the bottom making our corn shrink. Needless to say, we had our corn early before it was absolutely perfect.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...