Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Ready Or Not.................

I was sure when I turned the calendar today it was August 1st. I was sure of it! I got up today, watered my garden and flowers, noticed it was already getting hot by 8:30 am, and knew we were in for another hot day. While I was watering the garden, my dog ran into her kiddie pool and wanted hosed off because she was already hot. Plus, the smoke from fires had settled in quite a bit this morning, and it was hard to breathe. I noticed the grass out front needs mowed and the yellow jackets are still quite plentiful, even after spraying six nests two nights ago. The peas are done, and need pulled out of the garden, and the beans need to be picked. I picked two tomatoes before coming in the house to get ready to head to work. All of the signs seemed to point to an August day. At lunch, I met my hubby and it was quite hot outside, we even had to turn on the air conditioning. Hmm, still seems like August. Somewhere between lunch and leaving work at 4:15, something must have changed. It was still hot out, very hot. The temp in my car read 94 degrees. I decided to make a quick stop at the Dollar Tree on the way home, and that is when I got confused, or entered the twilight zone. I thought Al Gore and his global warming theory must be correct. I walked in the store, and made a left turn to be greeted by an entire wall of Christmas stuff! I just stood there and looked, along with several other people. I believe we all had the same look of disbelief and disgust on our face. Many were making very loud comments about how they couldn't believe they had Christmas stuff out. The man hanging the Christmas decorations on the wall was trying very hard to pretend he didn't see anyone or hear anyone. It seems like it's a race to see who can get their Christmas stuff out first. It's really quite crazy. I love Christmas, but not in August! It seems that everyone is just out to get as much of money out of Christmas as they can, forgetting that the real meaning of Christmas is Christ's birth, not retail hysteria. So prepare yourselves as it seems Tis the Season is upon us. By the way, there's only 144 shopping days until Christmas!

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...