Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Masks

We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves. ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

I got this on my email a couple days ago and all I could think was 'ouch!' Unfortunately, I think it's quite true. I have been dealing with some of this lately, and have been trying to be much more real to those around me and more honest with who I am, what makes me happy, and what I struggle with. I think we get so busy in life that we decide to put on a happy face and pretend all is well in life when sometimes, it's not. Other times, life is great and we need to share that as well. Be real with your family and those you call a friend. Let them know you, good, bad, and otherwise. Allow them in to see who you are, and take off the masks we all put on to guard ourselves in some way. God sees beyond all our masks, and loves us the way we are. Actually the more broken we are when we come before God, the more he is able to put us back together again, if we let him. So, as halloween approaches, how about taking OFF the masks, and allowing people to see who you really are and maybe you will remember who you are for yourself, and find a deep passion that has been hiding for some time.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Good post. I kind of have the opposite. People keep saying how good I look they are glad I feel so much better. I feel like junk because of my recovery sometimes so I find myself saying. I may look good but that isn't how I feel. I get a lot of laughs over that.

Kathy said...

This speaks volumes to me. I have a real problem with not letting anyone in on my problems, but always wanting everyone to think that everything in my life is going well all the time. It's something I really need to work on. Thanks for this post.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...