Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life



Life has been overwhelming lately, both with stuff going on personally, and with things with family and friends. I can't even think about the mess in our country and world, or it would send me over the edge at this point. It even seems lately that people I've never seen before are coming up to me to tell me what's going on in their lives. I can't figure that one out, but I guess if it helps the person, that is what matters. In the past week, I have had three strangers tell me their story while in a store, and one while sitting in my car, looking over my calendar. The latest was from a young gal who, with her two year old clutching on to her, told me that her husband had been shipped to Iraq and had to leave immediately. He didn't get to come home to say good bye or anything-just a very quick phone call to say he was being deployed. My heart ached for this gal, whom I have never seen before. She was trying to be tough, but I could see the hurt and worry in her face as she stroked her little ones hair. I held back the tears for this stranger as she poured out her heart to me. You see, my car was parked next to her car, and my window was open. I looked at her as she came to her car and offered a smile, and she locked eyes with mine. She obviously needed someone to talk to. I guess you never know when and where you will be used to help someone get through an issue. I hope somehow, I helped her in those few moments.

Each day, its seems some new crisis is happening with someone I love or care about-untimely deaths; divorce; families being ripped apart in many ways; devastating disease; deep hurts, loneliness, and depression; losses of many kinds ranging from jobs, to homes, to health, to family members. I've had a kid pouring their heart out to me over the internet because mom left and has decided her family isn't nearly as important as her trying to regain her 'lost years' of becoming a mother too early on and "missing out on the fun!" So, while mom runs after her mid-life crisis, her two teenagers hearts break and their lives are being tossed around in a roaring sea of emotions. They don't know how to respond to her, except with disgust and pretty deep hate. They want to stay with their dad, and mom really doesn't care, except to get money for child support. So, they go from house to house, playing a game of ping pong with their lives. No, this isn't all from the teens perspective, most of it is from mine. At this point, the young teens have a much better grip on what the situation really is than their mom does. It breaks my heart.

It can be difficult to look past the circumstances when things are so overwhelming. It can be difficult to not get caught up in the muck and mire of the problems of each day. I read my friend's blog tonight
Aspire to Lead A Quiet Life and it reminded me to focus on the blessings, not just the problems. There are still many of the things going on that I am trying to find where the blessing is, but I hope to look a little deeper over the next few days. I hope to adjust my focus and see things the way God wants me to see them. I am looking to get a renewed perspective, a new hope. I do have many blessings in my life and am grateful and thankful and appreciative. I also cling to hope in these tough times, because hope in Christ is all there is that matters, all that will keep us smiling and plugging along and caring for others, knowing He is in control and we have to place our full trust in Him.

The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you. Psalm 8:9-10

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13

David wrote: O Lord, I give my life to you. I trust in you, my God! Do not let me be disgraced, or let my enemies rejoice in my defeat. No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced, but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others. Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. Remember, O Lord, your compassion and unfailing love, which you have shown from long ages past. Do not remember the rebellious sins of my youth. Remember me in the light of your unfailing love, for you are merciful, O Lord. Psalm 25:1-7

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Out catching up with people. Your blog drove me to prayer for those people. God cover them with your love, assurance, comfort and protection.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...