Thursday, September 17, 2009

Special Day on the Lake





It was an amazing day yesterday. So amazing, I spent the day on the lake with my parents. My dad is a carver and makes beautiful geese, ducks, birds, and fish out of dead wood. You can check it out here: Wood N Wings Studios. He saw some dead wood along the shoreline when we went out a couple months ago, so we planned an outing to get out and find that wood in our boat. We met half way and loaded up our truck with our gear, and headed to the lake. We had a lot of fun, enjoyed a many laughs, and built some memories. We had close encounters with wildlife, including goats, an eagle, loons, hooded merganser, and grebe; we stopped at one point and before getting out of the boat, I heard the brush breaking. Mom and dad didn't hear the brush, just a very loud squirrel and told me it was probably just the squirrel running around. I thought 'if that's a squirrel, he's REALLY big because that brush is really cracking.' We were looking for wood, so I walked down the shoreline a bit and up into the brush. All the sudden I hear my mom yelling in her very motherly tone 'Get down here NOW, get to the boat NOW!' I can running out of the woods quite rapidly because I know that tone and when she uses it, she means it. I ran straight to the water and prayed whatever it was, it didn't like the water. I ran to the boat with my heart pounding out of my chest. Mom was still in the boat, eyes very big, holding her camera. She said something stuck it's head out of the brush a couple feet in front of the boat and it was hissing, growling, and snarling. We started to name things while mom gathered her senses...raccoon?...no! badger?...no wolverine?...YES! Mom is sure it was a wolverine she saw and dad is too after she described it. My dad, still on shore, picks up a tiny stick and starts to look for it because 'he really wants to see it.' Mom and I think he's crazy because they are not a nice animal. I heard it crash through the brush up the hill, so we finally convinced dad to get in the boat and move further down the shoreline.


We got the pleasure to watch momma and her kids, both on the way out and on the way back.




We did some fishing and caught some nice small mouth bass, but released them all to let them grow up and help populate the lake. It was fun to catch them, though! We also all caught some rays, and all went home a bit on the red side. We waded in the water, and one of us, that would be me, was trying to get a neat root for my dad that was in the water and as I took a step over a rock, I went from being up up to my knees to nearly my waste because the dropoff was that sudden! Did I mention I had on jean capris?? Lovely thing to be wet in for the next three hours! It brought some good laughs from my parents, however.


We loaded up the boat and headed back, and dad thought we looked like Sanford and Son, just in a boat instead of an old clunker truck. I must say, we got a lot of looks! I just kept laughing and thinking YOU KNOW YOU ARE A REDNECK WHEN............................



I enjoyed the time spent with my parents. It was a fun, memorable, and special day, that I wouldn't trade for anything.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

What great memories. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We had an absolutely awesome time too. What memories were made that day. It is good to sometimes slow down and enjoy God's creations. Thanks for taking us out for a great day on the water. Love, Mom

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...