Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Simple Things

I was getting a few groceries today and the clerk commented to me how everyone was in a much better frame of mind today and actually smiling because the sun was out. She said it is amazing how the weather really makes a difference in customers attitudes-whether they choose to smile and be nice because the weather is good, or whether they are grouchy and don't offer a smile back to her when she offers it. I know she smiles most of the time and is cheery because I see her at least once a week, sometimes twice and I always look forward to her warm greeting. I know that what she said about people's moods is the truth, and I will say after a very long winter, my spirits are lifted when the sun is shining, but if we depend on the weather to make us smile or be grumpy, that is pretty sad. Life is about much more than the weather, and if you live in North Idaho and depend on the weather for your mood, you will spend most of your life depressed and wearing a frown on your face, because we have a lot of gray days!!! Life is about the small joys, as well as the big ones. I got to spend a little time with my nieces today, playing with their princess Barbies and Barbie want-to-be's from the dollar store, and their horses. We had fun putting Cinderella in her carriage and my sister made a makeshift halter for one of the horses to pull the carriage. I asked the girls where the prince was and since they don't have any boy dolls, they looked around and quickly made due with a Care Bear teddy bear for the prince. It made me laugh, especially inside, because here is a beautiful Cinderella Barbie with her long, flowing, glittery blue gown, and the prince is a chunky, turquoise bear with stars and hearts on his belly! The point is, enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff! Life is full of heartache and sadness, but it is also full of joy and simple pleasures. Lately, we've had a lot of both in our lives and I am thankful that God brings along the moments with a clerk who chooses to be happy no matter what the weather, and pass that happiness on to her customers. I am also thankful for the simple moments playing with my nieces to be brought back to a simpler time, even if only for a few moments. Remember to find happiness in the simple things-look for it, search it out, and enjoy it! The most important thing to do though, is to pass it along to others!

"For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don't enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are that you're not going to be very happy. If someone bases his happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris, that person isn't going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness." ~Andy Rooney

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...