Friday, August 8, 2008

A Day at the Hospital

I got up early this morning to go to Spokane to be with a friend before her surgery, and sit with her hubby and mom during the surgery. I hadn't met her mom before, but in three and a half hours of sitting in the waiting area, we got to know each other.

In one of the waiting rooms we were in, we met a decorated Veteran. He has served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. He told us about some of the different things he did in each war, and his son chimed in that his dad and his unit had been featured in Time magazine because of the lives they saved on a certain mission. The story didn't get finished because more family came into the room, but I must say it was an honor to meet this man. I thanked him for his service as I left, but felt like thank you was far from enough to say to this three-time war veteran! I also felt humbled by his presence and grateful for men and women like him who have helped to keep this country free.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I often go to the hospital as support and comfort for friends and are finding myslef encouraged too.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...