Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Unexpected Blessing

Life holds so many simple blessings, each day bringing its own individual wonder. ~John McLeod

Over the weekend, we purchased a laptop computer from a friend heading off to college. We've been wanting a laptop, but not wanting the steep price. So, this worked out great. I now have powerpoint again, so am very excited. I love to work with powerpoint, and look forward to the opportunities where I can use it again for presentations. Mastering the laptop mouse is a work in progress, but we will get there.

Yesterday I went in search of a carrying case for the laptop so we can protect it. I looked in a lot of stores, and kept finding bags with hefty prices, but not great protection for the computer. My last stop brought me to an office store, where their bags were very nice, and what I was looking for, but too spendy. I resolved to check the thrift store for a used bag. However, as I was walking out of the store, I saw the clearance section and there were a couple computer bags there, so decided to check out the prices. I found one bag that looked like it had been drug across the floor, and was in desperate need of cleaning, but it was a great bag, just what I was envisioning! I thought it must be so cheap because it was dirty. When we got married, I got my wedding dress on a very good sale because it had been worn at a bridal fashion show, and it needed cleaned, so I guess my brain followed that thinking. The bag had a lot of padding, several pockets, a strap so the computer could be strapped in, and it was black, not loud colors with flowers! I looked on the shelf to see the price, and got very excited because it was under $20! I took it up to the cash register and the manager rings it up and tells me $65.97, please. I just looked at him. I said it was on the clearance rack and the shelf said it was $19.93. We walked over to the shelf and I showed him what I believed was the price. After breaking the codes on the tag, we found out that went to a laptop backpack, and it was already sold out. The clearance price on this bag was $45. He asked if I still wanted it and I said no. He offered to take half off the regular price, and I was thinking about it because it is a really nice bag, and from what I've seen in the $25-$35 range, it was definitely worth it. As I was contemplating the deal, he says 'oh, forget it. I will just give it to you for the $19.93.' With wide eyes, I replied 'really?' I guess it pays to have the manager wait on you sometimes. I thanked him probably ten times before leaving the store. After that, I thanked God for the unexpected blessing. I hope someone came along and blessed the manager's day, that he was shown some act of kindness as he extended to me.

How have you been blessed lately? Do you only look for the big things, or do you see blessings in the little daily things of life? How are you blessing someone else's day? Sometimes, just letting someone go ahead of you in line at the grocery store who only has one or two items is a great way to give a little blessing. Sometimes just smiling at a someone can bless a horrible day. Offer up acts of kindness as you go about your week and see how much better YOU feel as you do it.


Blessings we enjoy daily; and for the most of them, because they be so common, most men forget to pay their praise. ~Izaak Walton

Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver. ~Barbara De Angelis

How many times do we miss blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?

2 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

What a blessing to see your photos (love the new main page photo!) and read your thoughts.

Lanel said...

Congrats on the new laptop. I love mine. :) Here's a tip...get a wireless mouse. The laptop touchpads are annoying.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...