Monday, December 8, 2008

Eagles, Lights, and Memories

I went with my sister and two nieces on an eagle watching cruise the other day, for my niece's school. It was very cold! We sat up on the top deck as the lower deck was packed with people, since it was inside, and we were out! There wasn't any heat up above, and they even took the cushions that you can sit on for the metal benches off for the winter, so all there was to sit in were plastic chairs. Once we got out on the lake, the wind and rain picked up. Fortunately, we had nestled our chairs up against the cab, so the wind was blocked. We saw a lot of eagles. Unfortunately, my photos didn't turn out. It was such a dark day, I guess it didn't like the large lens trying to capture the pictures. I was really bummed, because it looked like the pictures were taking, and there are a couple shots that have ten eagles in one picture. The memories will live on, however.








After the cruise, we decided to go get warm, so we headed to Red Robin for a delicious dinner. After warming up some, we went to see the lights at the Resort. We first drove around and saw them, then got out and walked the boardwalk in the rain, so the girls could get up close and personal. We were having a good time, but it was really starting to rain. Now, since I grew up around here, I know that there used to be a side door to the Resort that you could enter, but after the Resort became more exclusive, they took that door out so that no one could enter. Well, there were several parties going on that night, and people out smoking, so that side door was open. My sister and I decided to walk through, for a couple reasons. One, we were wet and cold, two she is a diabetic and needed to check her blood sugars, three we had to little girls who needed to visit the powder room and it was still a long way around to the front. So, we cut through, and after attending to business, I was standing outside the first conference room with one niece, while we waited for the other two to join us. There were a lot of people going by, decked out in formals and tuxes, but also people not dressed a whole lot better than we were. Suddenly, I look up to see an armed security guard staring my niece and I, up and down, in utter horror. Now, I know we had been out on the cruise, and had on our winter clothes, but I don't think we looked that frightening. The look on his face was like we were a bunch of bums, in there looking for a handout. My sister soon joined us, as did the security guard. He met us at the doors and asked in a very gruff voice how we got in. I told him we came through the door. He turned reddish purple and asked if it was open. I said yes, and kept walking. He was very rude, to put it mildly. I remember, back when, when the average person was welcome to look at the decorations in the Resort, but guess those days are long past. We left the Resort, without enjoying the rest of the decorations because we certainly didn't want anyone to see a normal, typical person from north Idaho in the Resort, and tarnish it's reputation.







We decided to just go tour some of the area lights, where there wasn't a dress code, so we headed to Post Falls to the house that plays music with it's lights. Once again, it's beautiful, as are most of the neighbors homes. Thank you to those who do so much work to bring so much joy into the season. My nieces just kept saying 'WOW!' as they watched it, and clapped and woo hoo'd, as well. It is impressive, and you can come as you are to this show!




On Saturday, my hubby and I ventured out to see if there were any goats down at Farragut State Park. We saw five total. The picture below is a long ways away, but those tiny white dots are mountain goats. It was fun to see them.




As we arrived home, the sunset was amazing! God put on His own light show! I would say He wins!


3 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

LLLH,

I have heard a rumor or two about our hometown and CDA each becoming a "Vale" and being overrun by Hummers & other assorted posh cars (see, I don't really know how to spell them fancy rigs on wheels so I will group them into the "posh car" category). And if I had been with you guys, you better believe my hick-girl attitude would have given that security guard more than a purple face!

Okay, here's the deal, let's rally all of us north Idaho native (well, hay & hey, I was born in the middle of MT so that really makes me a hick) folks for a winter night out on the town!

Oh yeah, let us don our cold-weather garb: Sorrels with jeans tucked in, stocking caps pulled low, duct taped winter gloves. Next we pile into and drive our rusty, paint-peeling, 4-wheel drives with front-end tacky wreaths suspended by bailing twine.

Let us unite while we rev up our diesel engines and take back our towns! We can make a special stop in CDA, ask for valet parking and tromp into the Resort and order up some gooey dessert and warm coffee. And then go find that security guard and give him a taste of holiday cheer...I will cut my bailing twine and donate my wreath to the man!

;-)

live love laugh hope said...

I love it! Let's plan that night soon. I can drive our old blue/rust beater truck and load it up with local hicks!!

Sandi said...

I love your pictures. You story about not being dressed right reminds me of something always said at our church. If a homeless or needing person comes in don't walk away from them because of how they look. Reach out to them walk them to the front of the church and have a seat with them.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...