Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End of a Decade

The last day of 2009, the last year of a decade. My husband stated that he hopes and prays this coming decade is better than the last. You see, we started the last decade finding out his dad had pancreatic cancer, and after three short weeks, he wasn't with us anymore. In this past decade, we lost his grandparents, and my grandma, our first dog, and numerous close friends and relatives. There were jobs lost, and new jobs started. We moved from our home of 17 years to a new town, and we had to start over. We have faced many challenges, many heartaches, many changes. We have also had many times of laughter, love, growth, blessings, discovery, and joy. This decade also brought along my two nieces, whom have given us a lot of laughter and joy. This decade brought along a new level of understanding God, and more how my relationship with Him should be, and I have grown so much in my relationship with Him. It is now a daily, moment by moment, life style I choose to live, to breathe, and to permeate my life. Before it was more of a duty, a thing I did because I was supposed to, and when I gave time in ministry it was more about 'look at me' instead of look at God! Christianity isn't about how you are when you are at church. Christianity, being a follower of Christ, is how you are continually, when the 'church people' aren't around. It's about living a lifestyle that is honoring to the Father. Yes, I slip and fall, but I get back up, with the grace offered to me through Jesus, and start over again.

I have found new friendships in this decade which will be forever friends. Even though distance separates two of those relationships, I know that they are just an email or phone call away, and we are there for each other. This decade has brought me a new understanding of my health, as well, and how to better take care of myself. This decade has had many lessons for life, some easy, some very difficult, and everything in between. This decade has also taught me that life goes by extremely fast, so live each day intentionally, with joy, and without regret. I have learned to see beauty on the bright days, but I have also learned to find beauty on the dark days, if I make myself look hard enough. One thing with loving photography, I think I have learned to look at things a bit different, and find beauty in the details, whether big or small.

Yes, a new year and a new decade are upon us. As I look forward, there are things that concern me about our nation, big things. As I look ahead, I think of my niece and nephew who are in the military and pray for their safety, as well as other relatives, and friends, and all our troops who serve this country. As I look ahead, I know most things that concern me are out of my control, and I know that I have to trust what God is doing. As I look ahead, I know there will be great times of joy and love and happiness, as well as times of sorrow and sadness, because that is all part of our journey on this earth. My job is to keep my center on Christ, to trust in Him, and to know that this life is just a temporary dress rehearsal for eternity. I choose the dress rehearsal that is preparing me to live with Christ, and I pray that you do as well.

As I look back, I remember. As I look forward, I trust in God to take my future and to help me live it for Him.

Don’t envy sinners, but always continue to fear the Lord. You will be rewarded for this; your hope will not be disappointed. My child, listen and be wise: Keep your heart on the right course. Proverbs 23:17-19

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35-39

3 comments:

Lanel said...

I love your reflection on this past decade. Amazing 10 years it's been.

SimplyDarlene said...

Love, love, love this...As I look back, I remember. As I look forward, I trust in God to take my future and to help me live it for Him.

Friend, you are a blessing!

Unknown said...

This is beautifully said and gave me many things to think about with my relationsip with God. Thank you.
Vicki

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...