Thursday, April 10, 2008

Moving Past Winter


The sun is out this morning, and according to the weather forecast, things are only supposed to get better for the weekend!! I am hesitantly excited because I know how weather forecasts go, but just the thought that it could be in the 60's by the weekend is exciting. As I was out and about doing errands yesterday, people were talking about the hope of nice weather by the weekend in every business I entered. It's been a very long winter around here, and people are really getting depressed and down. It was nice to see glimmers of hope in people's eyes as they talked about warmer weather. Just like the weather, if we spend too much time in darkness and not in the light, we affect our souls, our attitudes, and our lives. We have to make time each day to focus on the goodness that God gives us and the hope He fills our lives with, if we allow Him to do that. If you've been stuck in the winter of life, take a step to move on today. Find some joy, something that makes you smile and makes your heart feel better. Take some time to actually sit down and write out things you are thankful for, or things that bring you joy. Find something that lightens your soul and gives you some peace. Look around because God reveals His beauty and majesty everywhere we look, we just have to be willing to see it.

For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Romans 1:20

I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have – life itself. ~Walter Anderson

Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying. Romans 12:12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right ON! How quick we are to write weather off as small talk, but your experience shows how powerful simple things like sun and temperature can be - things completely out of our control. I also took a lot from your quotes you included. Nice read, thank you.

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...