Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring Break Ramblings

I worked hard last week and Monday to get everything done at work that needed to be done this week so that I could enjoy some of Spring Break. I know next week will be full of many 'to do's' at work, but this week was pretty light, so I took advantage of having a couple days off. Yesterday I went up and hung out with my mom and dad, and my sister's family. We went to lunch, went for a walk, and just hung out for a bit. The sun disappeared right before our walk, and it got a bit nippy, but we still had fun. The girls rode their bikes instead of walking. That road is sure a lot busier than when I grew up out there! All of us neighbor kids used to ride bikes on that road all summer and sled down the road all winter. Now days, we would have all been killed from far too many people driving much too fast on that old dirt road. I told the girls that when they come down to visit, we will go ride the trails where they don't have to worry about cars. They thought that sounded like fun.

Since it's Spring, the urge to geocache is very strong within me! I long to get out and search for new caches, and plant a few as well. I jokingly asked my dad if he wanted to go up the mountain that is across the road from them and find the many caches that are up the trail. The snow is still quite deep, so we would not have found the caches even if I would have been serious about hiking up the steep mountainside. Dad declined, but my niece who is almost 5, sat up, with really big eyes, and said she would go. We took her caching a few times last year, and she loves to search for the hidden treasures! My dad has not caught the caching bug, and I told my niece that she needed to convince grandpa to start caching so that she and her sister could go with him. She tried, but dad was not convinced. My dad has amazing skills in the woods, and 99% of the time can get you to where you need to go by his senses, but 'modern technology' of using a gps is not one of his greatest skills. Liz tried to tell him, with great enthusiasm, that once you find the treasure there are toys in it, but grandpa didn't bite! So, another thing on the to do list when she comes down is to find some 'treasure' which means we need to find some nice, easy ones for her and her sister to go find while they are here.

The sun is out today and it's supposed to be close to 50. I have a beautiful red geranium in full bloom in my kitchen, which helps bring Spring indoors! I hope to open a few windows once the temperatures warm up today. As I look out the window right now, everything is coated in a heavy layer of frost, but as I said, the sun is shining so that is about all that matters at this point!

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...