Monday, July 14, 2008

Adventures in Fishing

We went casting out at a local lake over the weekend. I can't call it fishing, because there weren't any fish biting. Hubby caught a little one, but that was it. We saw thousands of fish that were about an inch long in one area. We were out in our little aluminum boat, with our 2 horse power, almost as old as I am, motor. The motor is just a little bit faster than rowing, but it does the job of getting us from one spot to another, as long as we aren't in a hurry. It was a beautiful evening, and the lake was crystal clear!! There were a lot of very large boats out on the lake and every time they would go by us with their motors wide open, we would have a two foot wake to deal with. Our dog went along for the ride. She enjoys being in the boat but was getting hot so we tried to find a place to let her out to swim along the shore that wasn't private. The only spot we could find was very steep and rocky, but we pulled up to the large rock and she got out. I was sure that I heard nature calling as we pulled in so I thought I should get out and explore the steep hillside as well. I literally was on all fours, pulling myself up the mountain at a couple points. I was praying I didn't fall, straight down, on the large slate rocks below me. I kept muttering and sputtering and knew I would never get back down alive. To top it off, I had on backless shoes so that added to the fun! As I got to a spot where there was actually a couple inches to stand on, I looked out over the beautiful lake, looked down at my husband at the boat a couple hundred feet straight below me, and had no idea why I crawled up this cliff. I turned around as I was saying 'I know I'm going to die going back down' and there were ripe huckleberries!! I was thrilled that my last meal was going to be a tummy full of huckleberries! After a good ten minutes, my husband got a bit worried that I was no where to be seen. He was yelling for me, although I didn't hear him. He finally came up to see if I was okay, and there I stood, with purple fingers! There was still one bush I hadn't discovered, so he quickly picked those berries, and enjoyed every one of them. They were delicious! He told me I needed to come back down to the boat and I said no, I didn't want to die. He told me I wouldn't die and turned around a left me to come down the mountainside by myself. I thanked him! Of course, it was so steep that two of us couldn't be in the same area at once, so I had to do it alone. He did help me at the steepest point, where I lost my footing and was heading over the edge fast. I finally made it back to the boat, quite dirty because I finally just sat down and slid but I made it. Next time I hear nature calling, I may have to survey the area a bit more before answering the call! However, I did enjoy the huckleberries.

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...