Friday, October 3, 2008

Balance

Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling five balls in the air. You name them - work, family, health, friends, and faith - and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls - family, health, friends, and faith are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life. ~Brian Dyson, CEO of Coca Cola Enterprises from 1959-1994

How do you do with balance in your life? I have improved over the past two months, but it's still a struggle. Our pastor talks about balance as putting God first, spouse second, family third, job, ministry, & hobbies/activities after that. I think most of America has their values, their balance out of whack. If we did have things more together, things wouldn't be so chaotic in life. We would have time to take a walk and enjoy the change of seasons, we would have time to sit and talk to each other, and we definitely would know right from wrong and rely on God to help us through this life, not trudge through thinking money is the answer. In the Spring and early Summer, I had my priorities way out of place and was going, going, going, and not being. I wasn't spending quality time with God, my husband, or anyone for that matter. But, at camp, I had some moments that slowed me down and helped me to focus and I saw how out of balance my life truly was. As I swallowed my pride, I decided I needed to step down from some of the things I was involved in, the things that took all my time. I must say, I'm still working on proper balance, but I've taken one step closer to to leveling out the teeter totter of life. It's not easy, but it sure is nice to spend more time at home with my husband.


"Teacher, which command in God's Law is the most important?" Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them." Matthew 22:36-40 The Message

1 comment:

Sandi said...

A pastor once said. "You can tell a person priorities by just looking at two things. Their calendar and checkbook."

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...