Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Worries

For each of us the time is surely coming when we shall have nothing but God. Health and wealth and friends and hiding places will all be swept away, and we shall have only God. To the man of pseudo faith that is a terrifying thought, but to real faith it is one of the most comforting thoughts the heart can entertain. ~A. W. Tozer

Are you at that place where you are worried about health, finances, relationships? I think we probably all have at least one of those stresses in our life right now. I know I do, more than one to be honest. The quote above is so true, yet I struggle to put my full faith in God that He will take care of it all. I want to be at a place where I can give it up to God, and stop taking it back, but the human nature wants control, and it's a battle to give it all to God, to lay it at His feet, and leave it there for good. I know He will take care of everything, but for some reason, I think He must need my help. For some reason, I worry, a lot. For some reason, I fail to remember that He is the God of the universe, my creator, and He knows me inside and out. He knows my needs, He knows my fears, He knows where I struggle. Even though I fail time and time again, He still loves me and picks me up and keeps helping me through life. I know Paul, who wrote most of the New Testament, must have felt the same way because he wrote in Romans 7, We know that the Law is spiritual. But I am merely a human, and I have been sold as a slave to sin. In fact, I don't understand why I act the way I do. I don't do what I know is right. I do the things I hate. Although I don't do what I know is right, I agree that the Law is good. So I am not the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them. I know that my selfish desires won't let me do anything that is good. Even when I want to do right, I cannot. Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong. 20And so, if I don't do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them. The Law has shown me that something in me keeps me from doing what I know is right. With my whole heart I agree with the Law of God. But in every part of me I discover something fighting against my mind, and it makes me a prisoner of sin that controls everything I do. What a miserable person I am. Who will rescue me from this body that is doomed to die? Thank God! Jesus Christ will rescue me. So with my mind I serve the Law of God, although my selfish desires make me serve the law of sin.

Today I am going to keep reminding myself of God's love for me. I am going to try to focus on Him, not my worries. I wonder how my thoughts would be different if instead of spending time on the 'what if's' in life, I spent them thinking about God's love for me, and how He always wants what's best for me, even if it's out of my understanding at the time.

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Why am I discouraged? Why am I restless? I trust you! And I will praise you again because you help me, and you are my God. Psalm 43:5

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...