Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You Veterans & Current Soldiers



Thank you. Two easy words, but so often not said in many situations. Today, my focus of THANK YOU is to all VETERANS. Thank you for your service to this country. Thank you for defending my rights and freedoms. Thank you for putting your life on the line so that so many others can be safe. Thank you for giving in an unselfish manner to your country. Thank you. Thank you for the freedoms you give us, even though so many abuse those freedoms. I appreciate your sacrifice of time away from your family, your friends, your home, for the limbs you have lost, and for some, the ultimate sacrifice of life. You are honored and remembered. Today I say thank you to those who have served, during times of peace and times of war. Thank you. Today I also want to say thank you to those who are currently serving. Today, I also pray for you, especially as the country goes through change. I pray that wise decisions will be made. I pray for your safety, for you to be respected by those you risk your life for on a daily basis. I pray that you are kept safe at all costs, and I pray for your families. I pray that the debt we owe you will be paid back to you, only a thousand times over. I pray for God to watch over you and to keep you safe.




Many Americans mistakenly believe that Veterans Day is the day America sets aside to honor American military personnel who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained from combat. That's not quite true. Memorial Day is the day set aside to honor America's war dead. Veterans Day, on the other hand, honors ALL American veterans, both living and dead. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for dedicated and loyal service to their country. November 11 of each year is the day that we ensure veterans know that we deeply appreciate the sacrifices they have made in the lives to keep our country free.


It is the Soldier
by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien
It is the Soldier, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer,
who gives us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Go out of your way to thank a Veteran today. Thank them that you are free because of them!


1 comment:

SimplyDarlene said...

LLLH,
Thank you for your post. I, too, wear my heart on my sleeve today. THANK YOU SOLDIERS!
Blessings,
A Simple Country GIrl

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...