Saturday, November 22, 2008

Support in Times of Trouble

I get a daily Bible verse, a quote for the day, and a daily devotions in my email. I also have a short Beth Moore devotion that I read every morning. Below are the ones that have shown up from the day my husband got laid off through today. I think God may be trying to tell me something, what do you think? Is He telling you anything as you read through these verses and thoughts?

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." John 16:33 NLT

John 14:1, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.” (NIV)
(This one showed up twice this week!)



"So you should realize that just as a parent disciplines a child, the Lord your God disciplines you to help you." Deuteronomy 8:5 NLT

"God has called us to be holy, not to live impure lives." 1 Thessalonians 4:7 NLT

“Is anyone of you in trouble? He should pray. Is any one happy? Let him sing songs of praise.” James 5:13 (NIV)

Remember... One day at a time. We can't let fears or worries over tomorrow steal our joy for today. One prayer at a time. We can't forget the source for all wisdom, perspective and peace is but a prayer away. One step of faith at a time. If I'm going to call myself a woman of faith, I'm going to have to be willing to live a life that actually requires a little bit of faith.

I'm glad God has all the answers, 'cause I barely understand the questions. ~Barbara Johnson

Down through the centuries in times of trouble and trial God has brought courage to the hearts of those who love Him. The Bible is filled with assurances of God's help and comfort in every kind of trouble which might cause fears to arise in the human heart. You can look ahead with promise, hope, and joy. ~Billy Graham

We have ample evidence that the Lord is able to guide. The promises cover every imaginable situation. All we need to do is to take the hand he stretches out. ~Elisabeth Elliot

Beth Moore thoughts:
It is in our weakness that He is strong. It is as we bend the knee to his lordship that God is able to deliver us.
O Lord, you are my lamp. The Lord lights up my darkness. In your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall. “God’s way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection. For who is God except the Lord? Who but our God is a solid rock? God is my strong fortress, and he makes my way perfect. He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights. He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow. You have given me your shield of victory; your help has made me great. 2 Samuel 22:29-36 (New Living Translation)

Believe even when you do not feel. Know even when you do not see. He gave the life of His son to demonstrate His love. Believe!
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

Completely surrender your hurt to Him, withholding nothing, and invite Him to work miracles from your misery.
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 2 Corinthians 4:7-10

Perhaps the most profound miracle of all is living through something we thought would kill us.
I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Ephesians 3:16-19 (New Living Translation)

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Brave

I read this this morning. Great reminder as we head into a new year. You have been equipped by God to endure this life.  He has bui...